The Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre is a museum which highlights historic preservation efforts throughout Hong Kong. It is located within the historic Blocks S61 and S62 of the former Whitfield Barracks at the Kowloon Park. The colonial-style white buildings were constructed in 1910 and used to accommodate British troops until 1967.
The site was also used by the Hong Kong Museum of History as its temporary premises from 1983 to 1998 until the new museum complex was built in Tsim Sha Tsui East.
The Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre is under the management of the Antiquities and Monuments Office. It has opened its door to visitors since October 2005 with its thematic exhibition gallery, lecture hall, educational activity room and reference library.
It includes a standing exhibition on Hong Kong's architectural heritage such as models, photographs, and signboards that outline the history of both Western and Chinese architectural sites that have been renovated and put to new use, like Tsang Tai Uk, a walled village in the New Territories that is now a museum.
The museum has been refurbished including the addition of modern elements such as glass. A modern elevator was installed at the middle hall. A patio contains a small and beautiful tropical garden.
The Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre in Kowloon Park is located at Haiphong Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon. It can be accessed MTR Tsim Sha Tsui Station, take Exit A1. Walk along Haiphong Road and then go into Kowloon Park. The centre is next to the bird lake.