Tung Lung Fort, also known as Fat Tong Fort, is ancient maritime fort located at the north eastern tip of Tung Lung Chau in Sai Kung, Hong Kong. It is believed to have been built as a part of a maritime defense system to protect trade and fend off pirates. Strategically located 35-metre above the water with commanding views of the Fat Tong Mun channel, no vessel could pass through without being seen entering or leaving Joss House Bay.
According to the Xinan Gazetteer, the fort was built during the reign of Kangxi (1662-1722) to guard against pirates while another historical document mentioned the fort as being built under the orders of Yang Lin, Viceroy of Guangdong and Guangxi from 1719 to 1724.
Local folk lore says that the fort had been attacked by famous pirates including Cheng Lien Chang, Cheng I, and more recently, Cheung Po Tsai.
Reportedly manned by an average of 25 men during its heyday, the fort was abandoned in 1810 due to a marked increase in piracy and the establishment of the Kowloon Fort at the tip of the Kowloon Peninsula.
Today only the fort's ruins provide archeologists with clues about its appearance. Based on the ruins, the Tung Lung Fort is rectagular in shape and measured 33.5m by 22.5m. It was enclosed in 3-metre high rubble stone walls with an arched brick entrance located at the north wall. The fort was comprised of fifteen guardhouses and armed with eight cannons.
In 1977, the Tung Lung Fort was declared a monument by the Antiquities and Monuments Office. The fort's site, alongside neighboring areas covering 3 hectares, was designated as the Tung Lung Fort Special Area.
With help from volunteers, the fort was restored in 1988. While the restoration work was in progress, a systematic archaeological excavation of the interior of the fort was conducted, unearthing vast quantities of ancient artefacts.
The site, which also includes a campsite, is open daily, from 9:00am to 5:00pm except Tuesdays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first 3 days of the Lunar New Year. To get there, take the privately-owned ferry in Sai Wan Ho (available only on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays).