Also known as Hok Tsui Beacon, the Cape D'Aguilar Lighthouse is one of five pre-war lighthouses still surviving in Hong Kong. It is also the oldest lighthouse in the city which was put into service on April 16, 1875. Because of its historical significance, it was one of the declared monuments of Hong Kong.
Sitting on Cape D'Aguilar, a cape in the south of Shek O and D'Aguilar Peak on southeastern Hong Kong Island, the Cape D'Aguilar Lighthouse, is a round stone tower, 9.7 meters high and white in color. The tower base, the arched doorway and the circular staircase are of fine masonry. The door is made of iron with geometric decoration on top.
It was shut down in 1896 for redundancy when the Waglan Island Lighthouse started operating in 1893. Its lantern and light apparatus were then transferred to Green Island in 1905 to replace the the ones on the island's lighthouse. In 1975, the lantern of Cape D'Aguilar Lighthouse was re-lit and automated.
Today, the lighthouse is still running under the management of the Marine Department. However, the tower is not open to the public for security and operational reasons.