Cha Kwo Ling is located northwest of Lei Yue Mun and is one of the villages on the hilly eastern part of New Kowloon, Hong Kong. It was already established even before the British colonized Hong Kong and became a major source of stone used in the building of Victoria City in 1841.
During the Civil War in China, many refugees from the mainland settled in Cha Kwo Ling. By the 1970s, the village had a population of about 20,0000. Three big fires between 1983 and 2006 engulfed many of the squatter houses prompting many villagers to relocate to public housing estates. Today, Cha Kwo Ling has a population of approximately 2,400 and is dubbed as one of the last squatter villages in Hong Kong.
The village is home to one of the more than 70 temples dedicated to Tin Hau in Hong Kong. According to ancient legend, Tin Hau is the daughter of a fisherman in China's Fujian Province who can predict storms via visions. She has helped many people, especially fishermen, from drowning by warning them against dangerous sea conditions. Because of her powers, she was revered as a deity and honored as the Queen of Heaven and Goddess of the Sea.
The original Tin Hau Temple in Cha Kwo Ling Village was built near the coast during the Qing Dynasty. The temple was transferred to Cha Kwo Ling Road in 1941 but was demolished in 1947 to give way for the construction of an oil tank of Asiatic Petroleum Company (South China) Limited. In 1948, a new temple was built at the present site after the request of the local residents.
The temple was made from granite blocks, which is uncommon in Hong Kong, while the roof is covered with brown ceramic tiles. Apart from the image of Tin Hau, the temple features two very interesting and unique murals: Green Dragon on the left and White Tiger on the right. The temple is open to the public from 8:00am to 5:00pm daily.
In front of the temple are the two massive rock formations aptly referred to as the "Fung Shui Rocks," "Child-Giving Rocks" or "Stone of Fertility" because they resemble men's testicles. The legendary rocks are believed to bless those who pray to them for sons.
Another attraction in the area is the Law Mansion located at Nos. 50A, 51 & 51A Cha Kwo Ling Road. The mansion is a prime example of a traditional village house in the centre of Cha Kwo Ling Village. It was built in 1855 using the area's quarried granite. The Law mansion is considered as the oldest surviving residential building in Cha Kwo Ling.
How to get there:
Take Kwun Tong MTR station exit A1, and take mini bus route no. 23B at Yan Oi Court ; or take a mini bus or taxi from Yau Tong MTR station.