Choi Sai Woo Park is a quaint recreational park serving the residential estates and schools near Braemar Hill at Braemar Hill Road in Hong Kong Island. The 2,400 square metre park sits on the former site of the historical Choi Sai Woo Reservoir, hence its name.
Except for a commemorative plaque erected by the Hong Kong Antiquities Authority, there are no other remnants that tell that the park used to be a reservoir. Choi Sai Woo Reservoir was the largest and the last of the five private reservoirs built by the Taikoo Sugar Company Limited in 1894. It used to supply water to Tai Ping Shan District during the drought and bubonic plague outbreak that started in 1894.
According to the commemorative plaque, the reservoir was the scene of bitter fighting as the Japanese advanced to split the defense of Hong Kong into East and West during World War II.
The reservoir was filled in by Li Ka Shing, Asia's richest man, to create the beautifully landscaped park.
Aside from the spectacular garden located at the lower area of the park, there are also two small basketball courts, a children's playground, exercise facilities for seniors and a pavilion. Adjoining the playground is a pagoda. Other park amenities include seating areas, restrooms, tea shop and parking. There are also retail shops, fast food outlets and convenience stores in the vicinity.
Choi Sai Woo Park is open daily from 7am to 11pm.