The Hong Kong Dragon Garden is a privately-owned heritage park located in Castle Peak Road, Tsing Lung Tau. It was founded by Hong Kong businessman and philanthropist Lee Iu-cheung in 1949. Lee took 20 years to design and landscape the expansive property to come up to what it is now: one of Hong Kong’s hidden cultural treasures in the New Territories.
Covering a land area of eight hectares, the Dragon Garden is the biggest existing private park in Hong Kong. It features ornate pavilions, towering archways and water features adorned with detailed stone sculptures which are based from the styles of the Sung, Ming and Qing dynasties. Influences from Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoism principles are also visible in the garden's structures but there are also hints of Western elements incorportaed into the design.
The garden is home to more than 100 plant species, including the over 30 Buddhist pine trees believed to be the largest in the city.
The Dragon Garden is currently under the ownership of Lee's descendents, who are willing to take all avenues to have their private park properly protected, restored and opened to the public with the help of the Hong Kong government. At present, visits to the Dragon Garden are only available through open days held once a month.