The Former French Mission Building is a historical structure located on Government Hill at 1, Battery Path, Central, Hong Kong. It was built in 1843 and was used as the residence of the Governor of Hong Kong until 1846. It is one of Hong Kong's oldest surviving colonial buildings and was declared a historical monument in 14 September 1989.
In 1915, the building was acquired by the Paris Foreign Missions Society, which commissioned an extensive renovation that created the present three-storey neoclassical building of granite and red bricks. It was sold back to the Hong Kong Government in 1953 and has since been successively used by various government institutions including the Education Department, the Victoria District Court, the Supreme Court, and the Government Information Services.
The building has been used as the Court of Final Appeal since the inception of the Court at the time of the transfer of sovereignty over Hong Kong, on July 1, 1997. It will be available for adaptive reuse, after the Court of Final Appeal relocates to the existing Legislative Council Building in 2015.
While not open to the public, the building remains one of the most popular colonial landmarks in the area, known for its dome projecting above the roof which is actually the cupola of a chapel incorporated in the north-west corner during the 1917 renovation.
To get to the Former French Mission Building, take MTR to Central Station, get out at Exit D1. Walk along Pedder Street to Queen's Road Central and from there to Battery Path.