The Hau Wong Temple is an ancient temple located at the intersection of Junction Road and Tung Tau Tsuen Road in Kowloon City, Hong Kong. It houses a wide collection of relics related to the Kowloon Walled City. The temple was recently gazetted as a monument for its historical significance.
While the exact age of the temple is unknown, historians believe that it may have been constructed in or before 1730 based on an inscription on the temple bell stating that it was cast in the 8th year of Yongzheng's reign (1730) of the Qing Dynasty.
The name of the temple can be translated as "Prince Marquis" or "Holy Marquis". According to a legend, the temple was built to honor Yeung Leung-jit, a Chinese general who, despite his failing health, remained loyal in the army and protected the last emperor of Southern Song Dynasty who took refuge in Kowloon to escape invading forces. Hau Wong Yeung Leung-jit's image can be seen at the main hall facing the temple’s entrance.
The temple is a typical two-hall-one-courtyard Chinese vernacular building with side chambers added on its right. Also in the temple compound are pavilions and a small garden whose walls were decorated with exquisite Shiwan ceramic figurines. One of the temple's unique architectural features is the "five peaks paying tribute to heaven" stepped gables on the rear hall, a rare style that is seldom found in Hong Kong.
Qing officials and soldiers guarding the territories between 1847 and 1899 frequented the temple when the Kowloon Walled City was still in existence. Some of the relics that can be found in the temple include a stone tablet with inscriptions indicating a donation from officials of the Assistant Magistrate of Kowloon and Dapeng Brigade and an incense burner donated by Xu Wenshen, the first Assistant Magistrate of Kowloon in 1847. There are also a number of wooden plaques donated by the military officials of the Kowloon Walled City. A stone inscription of the Chinese character for crane dated 1888 can be seen at the back of the temple.
Hau Wong Temple is located at the junction of Junction Road and Tung Tau Tsuen Road in Kowloon City, Kowloon, Hong Kong. To get there, take MTR Lok Fu Station, get out thru Exit B. Follow the signs and walk for about 10 minutes.