Located on the southern shore of Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, construction of the Clock Tower started in 1915 as part of the Kowloon–Canton Railway terminus. However, it was not completed and fully operational until 1921 because of delays caused by the First World War and budgetary constraints.
Interestingly, the tower only had a clock face on one of its side during its first years. The clock that was used had been salvaged from another tower that had been demolished. Later on, three clock faces were added on the other sides of the tower. By 1921, all four clocks were working in synchronization. According to historians, the four clocks have been running ever since, except during the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong during World War II.
In the 1970s, the railway station was moved to Hung Hom Bay and the one in Tsim Sha Tsui was demolished. However, the Clock Tower was spared and remains on its original site up to this day. It is now one of Hong Kong's oldest landmarks. From its Official name, Former Kowloon-Canton Railway Clock Tower, it is now refered to as the Tsim Sha Tsui Clock Tower in reference to its location. In 1990, the tower has been listed as a declared monument in Hong Kong.
The Clock Tower is made out of red bricks and granite and stands 44 metres high. It is topped by a 7-metre lightning rod. The top of the Clock Tower had previously been open to visitors through a wooden staircase, but is currently closed for maintenance.
Other tourist attractions near the clock tower include Victoria Harbour, Hong Kong Space Museum, Hong Kong Cultural Centre and the Tsim Sha Tsui Ferry Pier.
How to get there:
- MTR Tsim Sha Tsui Station, Exit E. Walk towards Salisbury Road, then turn right and take the subway (pedestrian tunnel) located next to the YMCA to the Hong Kong Cultural Centre. Turn right again and walk straight ahead towards the waterfront.
- Star Ferry from Central or Wan Chai and follow the signs. The Clock Tower is located next to the Tsim Sha Tsui Star Ferry pier.