Ocean Park Hong Kong is a marine mammal park, oceanarium, animal theme park, amusement park and one of the most popular tourist attraction in Hong Kong. It is located in Wong Chuk Hang and Nam Long Shan in the city's Southern District. It first opened its doors to the public in 1977 and has now grown to feature around 35 attractions and rides. Ocean Park Hong Kong has also received several international citations including The World's Seventh Most Popular Amusement Park and 33rd Most Visited Tourist Attractions in the World by Forbes magazine.
The theme park covers a total land area of 870,000 square metres (210 acres). A large mountain separates the park into two sections: The Summit (Headland) and The Waterfront (Lowland). Because of its vast areas and hilly terrain, special transportation systems, such as the 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) cable car system and the Ocean Express funicular railway, are developed so guests can reach park attractions faster and comfortably. The world's second longest outdoor escalator is also found in Ocean Park Hong Kong. These transportation systems do not only ferry guests from one park location to another quickly and with ease, riding them is also an unforgettable experience in itself.
Ocean Park Hong Kong is divided into themed sections that each offer unique rides and attractions which include roller coasters, aquariums and animal shows.
- Pacific Pier – seals and sea lions exhibit
- Atoll Reef - a four-storey high aquarium holding more than 2,000 fishes
- Chinese Sturgeon Aquarium – Yangtze River Exploration – Home to rare Chinese sturgeon and other native species of the Yangtze River
- Ocean Park Tower – a tower with rotating observation deck at the top offering 360° views of the South China Sea
- Sea Jelly Spectacular – an exhibit of more than 1,000 sea jellies from different parts of the world set to amazing lighting, music and multimedia special effects.
- Ocean Express – a funicular railway system which can transport visitors between the Summit and the Waterfront in 3 minutes. Using state of the art multimedia effects, this ride simulate the feeling of travelling into the depths of the sea.
- The Dragon – a custom Arrow Dynamics looping coaster.
- The Abyss – a ride which raises passengers up 62 metres in 20–25 seconds before thrusting them downward at speeds of up to 65 km/h, even faster than freefalling.
- Flying Swing – swings passengers up 7 metres (23 ft) into the air at 11 rpm in an undulating wave motion.
- Crazy Galleon – a suspended ship that tilts passengers back and forth at a nearly 45° angle, 20 metres above the ground.
- Ferris wheel – standing 27 metres (89 ft) tall with 18 six-seater gondolas, the Ferris wheel offers views of Ocean Park and the South China Sea.
- The Eagle – hoists passengers 23.5 metres (77 ft) into the air and whirls them around at a maximum gyro drive speed of 22 rpm.
- Marine World Games Zone – features 20 classic arcade games that tests players dexterity and strength.
Thrill Mountain - features rides such as the Hair Raiser (floorless coaster), Whirly Bird (chair swing ride), Bumper Blaster (2-seater bumper cars), Rev Booster (ride that spins and whirls at high speed) and The Flash (a ride that spins up to 22 metres (72 ft) into to air, hitting 3.9G.
Adventure Land - Mine Train (a mine train roller coaster which provides amazing views of Aberdeen Harbour), Raging River (a water ride), Ocean Park Escalator (a 225 metres (738 ft) long outdoor escalator).
Polar Adventure - Arctic Blast (power coaster), the South Pole Spectacular (penguin exhibits) and North Pole Encounter (Arctic foxes).
- Amazing Asian Animals - exhibits of giant pandas, alligators, and gold fishes.
- Lowland Gardens - Hong Kong Jockey Club Giant Panda Habitat (home to two of Ocean Park’s giant pandas, An An and Jia Jia), Sky Fair (hot air balloon ride) and Bungee Trampoline (an attraction that combines two heaight defying activities).
- Whisker's Harbour - Dolphin University (dolphin exhibit and conservation), Balloon Up-up-and-away (hot air balloon-themed Ferris wheel), Clown a Round (merry-go-round), Frog Hopper (kiddie ride), Merry-go-round (a fairy-tale inspired children’s merry-go-round), Bouncer House (an inflatable house), Whiskers Harbour Playground, Interactive Shadow Play, and Animal Story Corner (interactive educational displays about different animals).
Animal shows include Emperors of the Sky (features birds of prey), Ocean Theatre (a world-class and educational production featuring the Park’s marine animals) and Whisker's Theatre (a sea lion show and a mascot variety show).