Shing Wong Temple, formerly known as Fook Tak Tsz, is a Chinese temple located at the junction of Shau Kei Wan and Kam Wa Street, in Shau Kei Wan, on Hong Kong Island. It was built in 1877 and became the first temple dedicated to Shing Wong, the city god of the territory.
Shing Wong is the city guardian god appointed to Hong Kong. He keeps the peace and quiet in the district under his charge by managing the ghosts and spirits that haunt the area to maintain the order throughout the living world and beyond.
Over the years, the Shing Wong Temple in Shau Kei Wan has undergone many renovations including an expansion project headed by the Chinese Temples Committee in 1974. During the said renovation, new outer wall was built, giving the feeling of a temple within a temple. It was also renamed Shing Wong Temple.
Apart from Shing Wong, two other deities are enshrined in the temple: Tu Di Gong and Ng Tung. Tu Di is the "place god" who takes care of the residents while Ng Tung is in charge of wealth, time, good fortune, and has a festival named after him called "The Gods of Five Lucks Festival", on the fifth of the first month.
The Tu Di festival is held on the second day of the new year in honor of the Earth deity. The Shing Wong festival is held bi-annually in Hong Kong on the eleventh day of the fifth lunar month, and the twenty-fourth day of the seventh lunar month (Shing Wong's personal anniversary) where people praise and give sacrifice to their city-guarding deity.
To get to the temple, take MTR to Shau Kei Wan Station, get out at Exit B1 then walk for five minutes along Shau Kei Wan Main Street East.