Located at #138 Nathan Road, Tsimshatsui in Kowloon, St Andrews Church is known as the oldest Protestant church in Hong Kong. It is a church of the Anglican (Sheng Kung Hui) Province of Hong Kong and in the Diocese of Western Kowloon.
The church's construction started in 1904 after Catchick Paul Chater offered $35,000 to finance the construction. The chosen site was next to a large garden area owned by Sir Paul, covering the area between Robinson Road (now Nathan Road) and Austin Road. The church was designed by Alfred Bryer of Messrs. Leigh & Orange and was completed on 1906.
The church follows a simple Early English Gothic architecture using granite and red bricks. It features a steeple on the front right.
Since opening in 1906, the church was continuously used for Christian worship except during the Japanese occupation in the Second World War when it was used as a Shinto shrine. It was re-dedicated as a Christian place of worship in 1929.
The Church is generally open to the public for prayer on weekdays between 8.30am and 5.30pm except when there are activities. For group/organization visits, permission from the Church Office at least three weeks in advance is necessary.
St Andrew's Church, Hong Kong - Photo Gallery