Stanley Military Cemetery is a beautiful memorial park located near St. Stephen Bay in Stanley, on the Tai Tam Peninsula of southern Hong Kong Island. It was opened in the early days of the Colony for the burial of British military personel and their families between 1841 and 1866.
The cemetery was re-opened in 1942 for the burials of those who died in Hong Kong during the Second World War. A total of 598 casualties were buried here during the war including soldiers, prisoners of wars and civilians. One hundred seventy-five of these burials were not identified. After the war, more bodies were interred here particulalry those of the Hong Kong Volunteer Defense Corps.
Built on a hillside with sprawling green lawns, shady trees and spectacular views of Stanley Bay, the triangular cemetery provides a tranquil respite from Stanley's hustle and bustle. It can be accessed via Wong Ma Kok Road, through four flights of steps, rising approximately 10 metres from road level.
The cemetery also contains the new Hong Kong Memorial, which commemorates, by name, Chinese casualties of the two world wars who have no known grave. There are also three special memorials to First World War casualties buried in cemeteries in Kowloon and Hong Kong, whose graves have since been lost.