Tai Fu Tai Mansion is located in San Tin near Lok Ma Chau, north of Yuen Long, Hong Kong. It is considered as one of the most beautifully decorated buildings in the New Territories and the only remaining Mandarin's house in Hong Kong.
It was believed to have been built in 1865, during the reign of the Qing Dynasty, to become the residence of successful merchant and renowned philanthropist Man Chung-luen.
The mansion is known for its richly embellished interior, including lavish plaster moldings, Chinese woodcarvings, paintings and murals. It is a fine example of traditional Chinese dwellings of the scholar-gentry class of the olden times.
Tai Fu Tai's architecture resembles those of miniature forts. There are no windows in the mansion. There is an inner courtyard which is the only source of natural light and ventilation.
Inside the mansion are a main hall, side chambers, bedrooms, study, kitchen, servants' quarters, and lavatory. In front of the property is a spacious lawn while a garden is located at the back. The whole mansion is surrounded by a green-brick wall.
Gazetted as a historic building in 1987, Tai Fu Tai underwent restoration in 1988 with donations from the Hong Kong Jockey Club. It is open to the public every Wednesdays to Mondays from 9am to 1pm and 2 to 5pm.
To get to Tai Fu Tai, take bus no. 76K from Sheung Shui KCR to San Tin. Alight at San Tin near the post office. Then, follow the sign and walk for 5-10 minutes to Tai Fu Tai.
Tai Fu Tai Hong Kong - Photo Gallery