The Sam Tung Uk Museum is an ancient walled village built by Chan Yam-shing in 1786 that was restored and transformed in to a museum. It provides an authentic insight into the lifestyles of villagers in the New Territories before the area became a buzzling town.
Sam Tung Uk, which literally means "three-beam-dwelling," was declared an historic monument in March 1981. The Government funded its restoration and opened it to the public as a museum.
The 2,000 square metre museum includes an ancestral hall, two rows of side houses, an exhibition hall and a lecture hall. There are also displays of period furniture, handicrafts and agricultural equipment.
The museum is open daily from 9am to 5pm. Closed on Tuesdays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first three days of Chinese New Year.