The Trappist Haven of Tai Shui Hang is a monastery located on the hills of scenic and serene northeastern part of Lantau Island, Hong Kong. It was established by Roman Catholic monks of the Cistercian Order of the Strict Observance, or Trappists, after fleeing from the new regime in Peking in 1956. In 2000, the monastery adopted its new official name, Our Lady of Joy Abbey.
Built in European rual medieval style using stones, the monastery is the only one of its kind in Hong Kong. There is also a chapel with bright and airy interior and landscaped gardens perfect for mediation and prayer.
The monastery provides devout Catholics a venue where they can pray and practice their faith while in the Lantau Island, which is renowned for its Buddhist Po Lin Monastery and the Tian Tan Buddha.
The monastery is one of the most popular attractions on the island and known for producing the Trappist milk (or Cross Milk or Priest Milk to Hong Kongers). While the dairy factory has been relocated to Castle Peak, Yuen Long and the cow farm has been moved to mainland China, Trappist milk (sold in the traditional glass bottles) and other dairy products are still available at the monastery.
Located on a scenic hiking trail leading from Discovery Bay via Nim Shue Wan to Mui Wo, the monastery provides a resting point halfway through the hike. It also offers modest accommodations for visitors (advance reservation required).
The monastery can be reached either on foot from Silvermine Bay or by taking a ferry to the island of Peng Chau and then taking a sampan to Lantau Island.